TfL details below. See also comments by Cyclists in the City
TfL is proposing to introduce a new cycle route between New Cross Gate and Victoria. Barclays Cycle Superhighway Route 5 (CS5) would run via Peckham, Camberwell, Kennington and Vauxhall.
View the proposals and have your say:
Please visit www.tfl.gov.uk/cs5 to see details of the proposed route and have your say. Alternatively, please contact us if you would like us to send you designs for specific sections of route.
We invite you to one of our three public exhibitions so you can view the proposals and speak to members of the project team:
· Saturday 8 December 11:00-15:00, Peckham Library, 122 Peckham Hill Street, SE15 5JR (view map)
· Tuesday 11 December 15:00-19:00, Oval House Theatre café, 52-54 Kennington Oval, SE11 5SW (view map)
· Wednesday 12 December 15:00-19:00, Parnell House, 25 Wilton Road, SW1V 1LW (view map)
About the proposed new route:
Barclays Cycle Superhighway Route 5 would bring substantial changes to the road layout to improve safety for cyclists, including:
· More space for cyclists and buses, through reallocation of road space
· New mandatory cycle lanes
· Improvements for cyclists at 52 junctions, including new Advanced Stop Lines, cycle feeder lanes, and speed reduction measures
· An innovative cycle ‘early-start’ facility at Vauxhall Bridge Road/Millbank to help cyclists get ahead of traffic
· Banning some turns for cars and lorries to reduce conflict with cyclists
· Extension to the existing 20mph speed limit in New Cross
The new route would also include a comprehensive package of supporting measures, including:
· Over 3,000 new cycle parking spaces along the route
· Cycle safety checks
· Free cycle training
· Industry-recognised safety training for drivers of large goods vehicles
We plan to start work in late spring 2013. We’ll write to local residents and businesses before undertaking work. The route is planned to open later in 2013.